22 Mar 2022
Academic staff profile for Dr Celestin NTIVUGURUZWA
Dr Celestin Ntivuguruzwa is currently working at the University of Rwanda College of Education (UR CE), school of Education in the Department of Mathematics, Science and Physical Education (MSPE). He is a Senior Lecturer of Physics since 2006 and he was recruited on 1st September 2000 as Lecturer. He is also an Associate Staff Member of African Centre of Excellence in Innovative Teaching and Learning Mathematics and Science (ACE ITLMS), UR- CE (from 2018) and currently he is supervising 3 PhD students (one in Mathematics Education and 2 in Physics Education) and he is assigned 3 Modules of teaching (2 in Undergraduate and 1 at Masters).
He possesses a PhD in Physics and Mathematics, Specialization of Mechanics 01.02.05 (Liquids, Gases and Plasma Mechanics) from Saint Petersburg State University, Russia and a Master’s Degree in Physics and Mathematics, Specialization of Mechanics 01.03 (Theoretical Mechanics) from the same University. He benefited differentrelevant professional and leadership training among which one can mention the Certificate of PhD Supervision, Certificate of Performance Appraisal, the Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching at Higher Education (PGCLTHE), Certificate of English Proficiency Level III (Advanced), Certificate of International Master Trainer for GLOBE (Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment) Program, Certificate of George Mason University Executive and Professional Awards equivalent to 8.0 Continuing Education Units for Participation in ”IREX’s 2018 University Administration Support Program (UASP) Research Management and Leadership, Certificate in Teacher Education for Basic Education of African Countries from OSAKA KYOIKU UNIVERSITY, JAPAN (16/09/2011 – 16/12/2011) and the Certificate in Economy and Accounting (April – June 1994) from Express University, Saint Petersburg, Russia.
He has an extensive experience acquired in the last 20 years in teaching and research, among them 15 years of experience at the position of a Senior Lecturer, more than 10 years at the level of Institutional Leadership and Senior Management positions including 2.5 years as University Director of Centre for Postgraduate Studies,2 years at the position of Permanent Secretary for the Ministry of Education, 1 year as Dean of School of Open and Distance Learning, 6 years as Director of Centre for Academic Practice and Development and 2 years as Head of Department). He has also a wide experience as member of different Board of Directors and Executive Committees of High-Level Organizations at National, Regional and International levels : Member of the Board of Directors for RMI (Rwanda Management Institute) from February 2010 up to May 2015 ; Member of GLOBE ProgramEducation WorkingGroup (Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment Program implemented by UCAR in USA, representing the Africa Region from 2013 up to 2015 ; In the capacity of Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Education from June 2015 up to February 2017 he was at the same time Member of the Executive Committee of IUCEA (Inter University Council for East Africa) ; Member of Board of Governance of NCBS (National Capacity Building Secretariat) ; Chair of the Steering Committee of Netherlands Initiative for Capacity Building of Higher Education (NICHE II), ACE II Project (African Centers of Excellence Projects), Rwanda and Regional Centre of Excellence in Biomedical Engineering (CEBE). Project implemented by UR (University of Rwanda).
He has the following Publications and Distance Training Modules developed :
1. Reforms in science curricula in last six decades : Special reference to physics. Agnes Mbonyiryivuze, Camille Kanamugire, Lakhan Lal Yadav, Celestin Ntivuguruzwa African Journal of Educational Studies in Mathematics and Sciences (AJOL), ISSN : 2508-1128 ; October 2018. https://www.ajol.info/index.php/ajesms/issue/view/17022
2. ICT Essentials for Teachers based on the UNESCO ICT Competency Framework for Teachers Corporate author : Rwanda. Ministry of Education  Document code : ED/PLS/ICT/2017/09 Collation:40 p. Language : English Year of publication : 2017 Type of document : book https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000261451.
3. Students’ misconceptions in mechanics using the Force Concept Inventory. L.L. Yadav, J. Uwamahoro, J.D. Baziruwiha and C.Ntivuguruzwa, 2005.http://www.wcpsd.org/posters/education
4. C. Ntivuguruzwa, M. A Ridalevskya. Particularities of Kinetic description of gases with different levels of dissociation // Vestn. Saint Petersburg State University, 1999. Third Edition (No 15). P. 75-80.
5. C. Ntivuguruzwa. Kinetic approach to equilibrium analysis of dissociable gases of mononuclear molecules. VINITI. Saint Petersburg State University, 1999.
6. Modules for Kigali Institutte of Education Distance Learning Program • Physics Module 1 : Mechanics. Published by Kigali Institute of Education, Rwanda (2009) • Module 9 : Oscillations and Waves. Published by Kigali Institute of Education, Rwanda (2005) • Physics Module 4 : Mathematical Physics I Party. Published by Kigali Institute of Education, Rwanda (2002).
7. Research Project : Teaching science in Rwanda Vision 2020, Source of funding : KIE. Team : Mr Daniel Iyamuremye (Team Leader), L.L. Yadav, Dr. Celestin Ntivuguruzwa, Mrs. Uwimana Christine. Submitted to KIE 2007.
8. Baseline Study Survey “Teaching Mathematics and Science in Secondary Education, RWANDA” : Mboneza Theodore (Team Leader), Dr Celestin Ntivuguruzwa, Umubyeyi Brigitte, Kanamugire Camille, RutayisireOrigene…. Submitted to MINEDUC & JICA ; 2005.
9. C. Ntivuguruzwa, M. A Ridalevskya. Particularities of Kinetic description of gases with different levels of dissociation // Vestn. Saint Petersburg State University, 1999. Third Edition (No 15). P. 75-80
10. C. Ntivuguruzwa. Kinetic approach to equilibrium analysis of dissociable gases of mononuclear molecules. VINITI. Saint Petersburg State University, 1999.
Dr Celestin was also highly involved in Projects Management and Projects Proposal Development and Resource Mobilization and where one can mention :
1. (2015 – 2016) : Chair of the Steering Committee to develop the proposal for the World Bank for competition to host African Centres of Excellence. Rwanda submitted 6 wining proposals and at the 4 African Centres of Excellence are hosted by UR. Total Budget is 20 Milion USD.
2. (2018 – June 2019) : Member of the UR Team to consolidate and finalize the proposal for UR – Sweden Program Phase 4 to strengthen research and Institutional Advancement (2019 – 2024). Total budget is estimated 300 Milion USD (Grant). 3. (November 2019- up to now) : Member of the UR Team to develop the proposal for UR Mastercard Fundation Scholars Program 2021 – 2030 (On going and in final phase. Estimated budget 55 Milion USD (Grant).
His contacts are : Phone : (+250)788305262, E-mails : Personal : email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org ; Official : email@example.com