Center for Open and Distance Learning
Students must be prepared for the 21st century and given abilities needed to succeed and thrive in today’s complex, technology-based global economy, and to be active 21st century global citizens. Some of these skills include Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, Communication, Collaboration and Visualization. Technology in education enables the development of these important skills.
The Center for Open and Distance Learning has been created in College of Education with the intent to promote and to lead Open and Distance Learning in UR colleges.
The Center is composed of four Departments:
- Centre of African Virtual University (AVU),
- Educational studies (former DTP),
- PanAfrican Tele-Education Project
- Centre of Instructional Technology (CIT)
Mission of CODEL
CODeL aims at extending UR-College of Education's mission by making the college's scholarship accessible to the wider community. The main objective of the Center is to provide high quality, flexible, part time education tailored for adults in order to complement the college core mission.
The Distance Learning Programme (DTP or IYAKURE)
It was introduced at the University since 2001 through the former Kigali Institute of Education (KIE), currently the College of Education, this programme aims at upgrading in-service secondary school teachers in pedagogical skills and at alleviating the shortage of teachers both in terms of quality and quantity.
It is a Pan-African e-Network Project.
This project enables 5 African Regional Leading Universities to be connected to the Hub via a 2Mbps broadband/VSAT to 53 Remote Virtual Classes distributed in 53 countries including Rwanda.
Pan-African e-Network Project operates through software modules that allow:
- Virtual Tele-Education LMS: Asynchronous Learning Environment
- Virtual Tele-Conference: Collaborative Conferencing Environment
- India hosts a Tele-Education LMS portal comprising the university Tele-Education delivery system software that incorporates the e-Learning, content management system, KMS (knowledge Management System) and digital library solutions.
- The project is in its second phase and is sponsored by the Government of India.
- Awarding Indian participating universities:
- Amity University (Uttar-Pradesh)
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
- University of Madras
- Birla Institute of Science and Technology (BITS)- Pilani
- Delhi University
African Virtual University (AVU)
It is a Pan African Intergovernmental Organization with a mandate to significantly increase access to quality higher education and training through the innovative use of Information and Communication Technologies.
- The AVU was established in 1997 when eLearning was still in its
infancy in the West and it has since trained more than 43,000
students and established the largest network of Distance and eLearning institutions in 29 African Countries.
- The AVU works across language divide in Anglophone, Francophone and Lusophone Africa. The AVU is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with a regional office in Dakar, Senegal.
|1||Dr. NDUWINGOMA MATHIAS||DIRECTOR, CODeLemail@example.com||0788897814|
|3||KARANGWA BENJAMIN||COORDINATOR, TELE-EDUCATIONfirstname.lastname@example.org||0788353225|
|4||BOLINGO AMURANI||COURCE DEVELOPMENT OFFICERemail@example.com||0788860329|
|5||TWAGIRIMANA THEOGENE||COURCE DEVELOPMENT OFFICERfirstname.lastname@example.org||0788466414|
|6||UWERA ANTOINETTE||COURCE DEVELOPMENT OFFICERemail@example.com||07888539756|
|7||TWIZERIMANA YVONNE||COURCE DEVELOPMENT OFFICER||yvonne.twizerimana@gmail||0786849999|
|8||NTALINDWA THEONESTE||E-LEARNING OFFICERfirstname.lastname@example.org||0788884594|
|9||UWIZEYE JEAN CLAUDE DESIRE||E-LEARNING OFFICERemail@example.com||0788444646|
|10||NYINAWUMUNTU CLEMENCE||E-LEARNING OFFICERfirstname.lastname@example.org||0788635596|
|11||NTABOMVURA LEON||E-LEARNING OFFICER||leon.ntabomvura@gmail||0788351569|
|12||HAFASHIMANA JEAN DE DIEU||HEAD OF ODeL REGIONAL CENTRE, RWAMAGANAemail@example.com||0788666135|
|13||KABANDA CHARLES||HEAD OF ODeL REGIONAL CENTRE NYUNDOfirstname.lastname@example.org||0788540146|
|14||NIRAGIRE GASTON||HEAD OF ODeL REGIONAL CENTRE, BUTAREemail@example.com||0788533382|
|15||MUHOZA RENE||HEAD OF ODeL REGIONAL CENTREfirstname.lastname@example.org||0788560728|
|16||UWIMANA VESTINE||ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANTemail@example.com||0788630284|